NEA Webchat: Cost-effective decarbonisation of electricity systems
14 July 2020
NEA Webchat: Nuclear power and the cost-effective decarbonisation of electricity systems
This event has now passed - find the recording here.
The NEA encourages governments to take advantage of the post‑COVID‑19 economic recovery to accelerate the energy transition towards meeting climate objectives.
- Post‑pandemic recovery plans to reconcile climate objectives with economic goals need to put system costs at the heart of energy policy.
- Nuclear energy projects achieve deep decarbonisation with optimal use of land and mineral resources.
- Moving to a carbon neutral electricity system without nuclear power would significantly increase system costs and threaten security of supply.
- Achieving cost‑effective decarbonisation requires structural reform of the electricity market.
This webinar will include:
Webinar moderator: William Magwood, Director General, NEA
Presenter: Jan-Horst Keppler, Senior Economic Advisor, Division of Nuclear Technology Development and Economics, NEA
- Scott Foster, Director, Sustainable Energy Division, UNECE
- Kirsty Gogan, Co-Founder and Executive Director, Energy for Humanity
- Laszlo Varro, Chief Economist, IEA